NUTRITION & DIET TIPS FOR PREVENTION & RECOVERY OF ILLNESS
By following these key recommendations, you can prevent illness and boost your body’s ability to cope with infectious diseases, including COVID–19.
The same recommendations apply for post-covid / Post-illness recovery. It is crucial we take care of ourselves and pay attention to physical as well as mental health. A post-covid diet plan & post-covid lifestyle changes are very important.
Continue COVID appropriate behavior (use of mask, hand & respiratory hygiene, physical distancing
Diet & Lifestyle Recommendation
- Eat fruits, vegetables, legumes (e.g., lentils, beans), nuts, and whole grains (e.g., unprocessed maize, jowar, bajra, multigrain, oats, quinoa, broken wheat (daliya), brown rice, or starchy tubers or roots. Foods from animal sources (e.g., chicken, fish & eggs).
- Daily, eat 2 fruits a day & 3- 4 bowls of vegetables (salads & subji).
- For snacks, choose makhanas, dry fruits, seeds-pumpkin, flaxseeds, sunflower, chia seeds, almonds, walnuts & peanuts.
- Do not overcook vegetables and fruit as this can lead to the loss of important vitamins.
- Add a probiotic serving to your diet- curd/ buttermilk, kombucha & fermented vegetables.
- Avoid eating out and cook meals fresh at home as much as possible.
- Include good fats in your diet – ghee, coconut oil, nuts, nut butter & avocados.
- Include Kadha (Twice a day) – 300 ml boiling water add 10 basil (tulsi) leaves, four lightly crushed peppercorns, half-inch grated ginger, and one pinch cinnamon. Reduce the concoction to half and add one teaspoon of honey.
- Do consult your health care expert for the correct dosage of vitamins & supplements (if needed). Vitamin C is known for its role in immunity-boosting properties and hence a dosage of 500mg – 1000 mg should be safe.
Ensure you stay hydrated and get 7-8 hours of sleep.
Stay active and try getting at least 20 – 30 minutes, moderate-intensity exercise. This is for a healthy individual to prevent illness.
Self-monitoring is essential – daily check of oxygen levels and temperature.
Look for warning signs like fever, breathlessness, low oxygen levels, unexplained chest pain, and body weakness.
While these recommendations play an essential role, it isn’t magic pill. People with chronic illness and who have suspected and confirmed COVID-19 may need mental support as well.
Don’t hesitate to speak to your friends & family or consult a professional therapist for the same. Precautions & care are crucial steps for recovery and prevention.
Follow me on Instagram:
Start your day with 60 ml amla juice with 1 glass of warm water. Amla rich in vitamin C, helps in boosting immunity. Include Citrus fruits in your diet. At least two serving of fruits in a day. Ginger & and Garlic has powerful immunity boosting properties. Include...
Planning on losing weight? FIND A WAY TO ACHIEVE SUSTAINABLE WEIGHT LOSS AND NOT A QUICK FIX. MISTAKE - Going for fad diets which are extreme. Thinking of a diet as a quick fix is the most dangerous thing you can think of. Diets are supposed to be a lifestyle change,...
Traditionally, a diet was simply the way that you ate. Over time it has evolved to mean, “Restricting your current intake of food to lose weight. The perfect diet does exist, but not in the way that you think. There is no perfect diet that works for every single...